Re "I think that rigs like the SDR-1000 would work and I'm sure that
ICOM, Kenwood, YAESU and Alinco would build them."

One could certainly use the SDR-1000 hardware a foundation for
broadband communication at HF, but this is not a product aimed at
the average amateur. On what grounds are you so sure that Icom,
Kenwood, Yaesu, and Alinco would build similar rigs? All seem to
struggle with basics like transceiver-to-PC communications. Creating
a resilient SDR platform whose software would be understandable and
modifiable by its users seems several generations beyond their
current capabilities.

   73,

      Dave, AA6YQ

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, DuBose Walt Civ AETC CONS/LGCA

CONS/LGCA wrote:

> >     It isn't the high-ranking government officials that drive
> >     policy...its the GS-12s, 13s and 14s.  The are the ones
> >     who brief the GS-15s and SESs who if they like what the GS-
15s
> >     say forward the "brief" to the agency head who determines if
he/she
> >     wants to send it to their congressional liaison.
> >

> I know the state level Natl Guard here isn't interested in the ham
bands.
> They
> have at least 6 racks of HF radio's in the State EOC with data
capablity
> already set up on gov't frequencies. They have all kinds of VHF
and UHF
> capabilities. There is nothing the amateur bands offer them they
want or
> need.
>

>       True in most states.  In Texas during Hurricane Rita the
Natl Guard
> had a 10-25 watt
>       VHF repeater out at Kelly-USA.  They used 2 antennas on 10
ft poles
> separated by about 30 ft.
>       The repeater was in a pretty yellow fiberglass box between
the two
> antennas.
>
>       They have lots of hardware and few frequencies and some
knowledge.

>       I was chief of communications during Desert Shield for the
Theater

http://us.click.yahoo.com/u8TY5A/tzNLAA/yQLSAA/ELTolB/TM