Walt,

Please do not misrepresent what the ARRL did in terms of supporting a
national digital network. The board specifically did NOT select Winlink,
Winklink 2000, PSKmail, JNOS2, or any other messaging system. They only
mentioned Winlink 2000 as an example. But actual networking is mostly a
local decision. Ideally, we can have increased interoperability which is
what some of us have suggested on the winlink2000 yahoogroup.

Winlink 2000 (not Winlink which is the older RF system that does not use
the internet as the main conduit for communications), has value as a
casual communications system for non emergency conditions, and even some
limited value for emergencies, as long as you don't put all your
resources toward one system.

Amateur radio can  not deliver what FEMA wants. Actually, no one can.
But we can try and approach their desires  for those who want to meet
what they think they need.

One solution that seems to be gathering interest is tying amateur radio
digital and voice with satellite internet data. In fact there was an
article in QST a while back with the Texas Baptist Mens group that used
this approach. They even found that fast field connections could be used
with cell phone digital messaging  to key personnel when  cellular was
available. So there are lots of ways to do this. But some work better
than others and it depends upon the situation.

DuBose Walt Civ AETC CONS/LGCA wrote:

> Unfortunately, I think its a waste of time.
>
> When the ARRL and FEMA/DHS signed their MOA in Dallas a couple of
> summers ago, I heard a FEMA official (at least that's what is said on
> his name tag) talking to the ARRL President, CEO and another staff
> member about what FEMA would like the ARRL to accomplish.  The result
> was endorsement of WinLink.  But WinLink does NOT come close to
> accomplishing what the FEMA official was wanting.  I don't really
> fault the ARRL folks there as they aren't technical types and
> obviously the FEMA official was or had been briefed by his folks on
> what FEMA would like the ARRL to accomplish.  To my knowledge, there
> weren't any more meetings between FEMA and the ARRL to iron our just
> exactly what FEMA wanted.
>
> Walt/K5YFW

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/ELTolB/TM

Looking for digital mode software?  Check the quick commerical free link below
http://www.obriensweb.com/digimodes.html