There should not be any difficulty getting messages into the NTS in most
areas. This fall we had several nearby tornadoes. One about 4 miles from
our QTH and the other about 20 miles. My wife (also a ham) passed on a
message to me that one of the victims wanted sent to Alaska. It went out
a few hours later on one of the NTS nets.

Most states should have a number of entry points for NTS traffic. Our
state has HF voice nets in the morning, at noon, and late afternoon,
plus a Novice net and later a Slow Speed net on CW later on and then the
higher speed CW nets at 7 pm and 10 pm.

I would like to see more digital activity, but I have not been able to
find anysection interest at all.  In fact, as active as our section is
in traffic handling, we do not even participate in the NTS/D and even
more surprising is that our Region Net does not either. I have never
been able to understand this lack of interest since it would be a way of
getting traffic through under even horrific conditions when even CW can
be iffy. And that assumes you have enough competent CW operators and
from what I have heard, the pool is shrinking.

Perhaps I was naive, but I really thought that as the older hams became
silent keys, the newer hams who may not be as interested in CW, would be
more interested in digital traffic. One of the attractions for nets
though is the camaraderie you have on voice and even CW and which
doesn't seem to come across quite the same way on digital modes which
are more "arms length" or distant. But unlike conventional nets that
require real time participation, digital nets should have a real
advantage if they time shifted by the use of mail box systems. The
Winlink 2000 system can do some of this but of course it is really not
amateur radio for the bulk of the system and there is no guarantee that
it can remain operational during wide spread emergencies. Having a
serious, decentralized network would go a long ways to making amateur
radio relevant again for this kind of messaging.

With the advent of a number of new digital technologies this past year,
particularly PSKmail and JNOS2, maybe someday we could see some kind of
ham digital network develop.

John Becker wrote:

> This is true Dave *IF* you can get one of them onto
> the NTS circuit.

Need a Digital mode QSO? Connect to   telnet://208.15.25.196/