Hi Buddy,

Although I would agree that part of the attraction of new modes is the
novelty of operating them,  most of us try out the new modes is to see
how well they actually perform under real world conditions and find out
which ones we prefer for operation. Of course, this assumes there is
someone else out there who also prefers that given mode that you can
talk to:) We all know how simulated computer testing has compared to
actual HF testing when you actually get the modes on the air. I have
found that only a few modes are really all that robust (which is my main
interest area) but others may find other preferences such as the best
speed, ease of use, minimal latency, etc.

Of all the digital modes I have ever worked, AMTOR seemed like about the
worst. But it was a breakthrough product at the time considering it was
the first amateur ARQ mode. It did have the requirement of relatively
expensive hardware, very significant TX/RX switching at several times
per second which many rigs at the time had difficulty with, falsing of
characters when signals deteriorated even though it is an ARQ mode, and
inability to handle weak signals.

Pactor (Pactor I) was better assuming that you had the hardware, since
it had slower switching speeds for the ARQ operation, was very good
about preventing false characters from getting through, and seemed to
work better into weaker signals.

I am not sure what you mean by AMTOR and Pactor being curtailed by being
cheap modes. The really low cost modes these days are the sound card
modes since they do not require a lot of extra hardware other than an
interface. My stuff is all homebrew. I finally built an ICOM CI-V
interface last week and it works quite well for controlling the rig.
Everything came out of the junk box and was built "dead bug" style, so
nothing fancy.

Many years ago, when I worked Ray (inventor of Clover I and II) when I
had the HAL P-38 card, I found that Clover II was not very good with
weak signals. As much as I liked the concept of Clover II, (especially
the pseudo duplex feel),  it really could not deliver the weak signal
performance of Olivia or MFSK16 of today, and although you would get a
connection, and you would have some data being transferred for the
overhead bytes, very little chat mode data would get through. Very
frustrating considering the cost of the stuff then. The HAL P-38 board
was defective in terms of handling Pactor I and HAL would not stand
behind their product. Very disappointing.

It was not until sound card modes came along that I had a renewed
interest in digital operation. We still do not have a good MS Windows
ARQ mode for sound cards, although the Linux PSKmail may have some
utility. I expect this to change in the next few years, but I know it is
a challenge for the few who can actually do this kind of programming.
Clearly, pipelined ARQ is the way to go at this time for computer based
sound card modes if you want an ARQ mode. The main issue being enough
speed when you have good conditions, but yet the ability to throttle
back and forth to meet the ionospheric conditions of the moment.

Linked modes are wonderful for BBS type connections and for connections
where you need to have totally accurate data transmission. They are
perhaps not quite as useful for casual contacts and obviously not for
net type operations.