>> Ten years ago, before Al Gore invented the internet I had 500 plus
>> messages (email if you will) pass my packet BBS everyday.
>> I don't recall all this type of talk back then.

Thats just it, it was not email!  Besides, I do remember PLENTY of talk
about the HF packet stations.    The ARRL, in their infinite wisdom, decided
"packet frequencies" on 20 meters to dip down to 14.095, a long established
RTTY area.  So many packet stations set up shop that they migrated down as
low as 14.085 or even lower.   Their never ending brrraaaapppp went on
incessantly, regardless if anyone was using the freq. or not.   And this is
exactly what will happen with the WinLink fiasco.

73 Buddy
WB4M