> Even though it has been said before, based on the comment below, it
> needs to be said again ... Winlink and Winlink 2000 and any other
> similar systems used on amateur radio ... do NOT have commecial value to
> those running such systems.

It is unknown if *users* are misusing Ham spectrum for
profitmaking business enterprises or for other non-Ham
purposes because so few are able to monitor the traffic
and so many of the operators hide their callsigns.

> When anyone makes such claims, they lose much of their credibility.

That claim was not made by me so the charge has no credence.

> The absolute fact is that those who have run these systems, and until
> recently that was mostly the same handful of people over the last couple
> of decades, they put in tremendous resources in time and materials to
> run these systems and develop the software.
 >
> They make NO money in ANY way. In fact it is the complete opposite.

No one has said that the *users* are in it for profit.

> Currently, the Winlink 2000 group is attempting to develop sound card
> software to AVOID using the proprietary Pactor mode which hopefully will
> someday become obsolete. But at this time, the Pactor II and III modes
> have the advantage with very high speeds with good signals and fairly
> good speeds with lessor signals due to their adaptability within their
> channel space.

Those who are *selling* the software and *selling* the hardware
have filed public financial reports demonstrating that they make
no profit?

That would indeed be news as it is the software and hardware
vendors and not the users to which my post clearly referred,
in context.

The question of superior performance is still in play
and the paucity of presence of the proprietary hardware
and software makes the mode of minimal usefulness with
little redundancy in times of greatest need.

We need a robust mode in the hands of a large percentage
of Hams if we are to have a reasonable probability of
deployable resources where and when most needed.

Winlink is not that mode.  If it will become such after the
costly proprietary hardware and software are eliminated
from the equation is yet to be seen.

Many alternatives such as SCAMP and others are pressing
hard at Winlink's heels.

Thanks! & 73, doc kd4e

            |_|___|_|
            | | & | |