The Winlink 2000 team spokesperson has found improper user of the
Winlink 2000 system and those users have been banned from the system.
This is exactly the same as the issues with VHF packet radio BBS
systems. The regulations apply in the same way. The hams running the
system need to do some spot checking to find if anyone is abusing the
system. If they do, the system owners are held harmless from the
infraction by the user, but they are obligated to stop the activity.

Your claim that:

"Let's just acknowledge the reality that this is a moneymaking
enterprise first and it may or may not be the best choice
for emergency comms and may or may not be healthy for the
hobby"

indicated to me that you were claiming the Winlink 2000 product as a
moneymaking enterprise. Otherwise you need to be a lot clearer on what
moneymaking enterprise you are talking about. The users are not the
people who run the system.

What do you mean by claiming:

" Those who are *selling* the software and *selling* the hardware
have filed public financial reports demonstrating that they make
no profit?

That would indeed be news as it is the software and hardware
vendors and not the users to which my post clearly referred,
in context."

What software are you referring to? The Winlink 2000 group does not sell
any software. Most is proprietary and held by them to run the system.
The software that they share with the users of the system has alway been
free.

Hardware has no connection with Winlink 2000 since it is a proprietary
product from a single source foreign company. Historically Aplink  used
Amtor (various vendors hardware and no connection with Aplink) and later
Winlink used Pactor I and Clover II (various vendors hardware and no
connection with Winlink)

In more recent times, Winlink 2000 abandoned Clover II and stayed with
Pactor modes I, II, and III since they found Pactor performed better
than Clover II.

Doc, you seem to not understand that SCAMP is Winlink 2000 development
as well. They are trying to come up with a replacement for Pactor but it
is very challenging to do this with a sound card mode and have the kinds
of speeds that Pactor has.