Oh boy, oh boy.

Your the one that indicated multiple QSO's on the same channel on HF
were possible with TDM/CDM, in fact that's why they were invented.

The channel bandwidth of GSM is exactly relevant to this discussion.
You have to know the RF bandwidth per user in order to make an
intelligent decision about using the technology at HF.  That is unless
you have reason to believe that you can transmit more data in a
smaller RF bandwidth at HF than you can at UHF.

The other problem with your scenario is operational.  For example,
lets just assume you can get 20 qso's in 100 kHz.  And you set up the
channel from 14250 to 14350.  Either you have the FCC dedicate that
channel for that purpose, or you have to share.  If you share, one SSB
qso in that space would prevent 20 other qso's from happening.

The biggest problem is how to accomplish upgrading hardware and
software when new developments come along.  You won't be able to use
your handy dandy HF tranceiver for a bandwidth like this, and forget
computer sound cards with a 100 kHz bandwidth.  Now everyone spends
their hard earned money (and expect it to cost quite a bit)to get
setup and guess what, 6 months later someone comes along and says,
hey, I can now get 23 users into that same space and since my method
is newer and better, my method wins!  But, if you want to use it, you
have to buy new hardware and software!

That will go over real big won't it.

I don't know what you think spread spectrum will buy you in a
"standard" HF channel.  You can only get enough data through that
standard channel for one conversation to occur.  Normally one would
estimate the total bandwidth required by multiplying the bandwidth per
user by the number of users you want on that channel.  That's because
you have to send the same amount of data per user only quicker so you
don't get delays or latency.

If you try to add a second conversation in a bandwidth designed for
one conversation, your going to have long delays while the other
station sends. And in fact, it could be two other stations sending if
there are two parties per qso.  You may not mind the stuttering sound
but I sure would.

Ultimately, you have to decide if the spectrum, technical, and
economic efficiencies are any greater with a system like this versus
plain old SSB or DV in a SSB channel!  It is not evident to me that
this will be the case.

Jim
WA0LYK

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Dr. Howard S. White"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The commercial GSM numbers are not relevant to this discussion ..we
are talking about Ham radio which has different design parameters...

> Using spread spectrum for example it should be possible have
multiple QSO's in a standard HF voice channel....

> More important, if we design systems to maximize band utilization we
should be able to carry many more QRM free QSO's on our current
bands....which would have the benefit of not only curing current
overcrowding but also virtually eliminate annoying QRM....

> So rather than sowing seeds of fear of the unknown... we, especially
on this digital reflector.... should be embracing the new technologies...

> The technologies are out there just waiting for some clever hams to
implement them......

> The point I am making is that we need to have rules that allow us to
be able to experiment...on HF... as well as VHF/UHF...

> Howard S. White Ph.D. P. Eng., VE3GFW/K6  ex-AE6SM  KY6LA
> Website: www.ky6la.com
> "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"
> "Ham Antennas Save Lives - Katrina, 2003 San Diego Fires, 911"

Service.