Steve,

It is not just emergency traffic, but H&W traffic, important
informational traffic, e-mail from distant points, etc. It can sometimes
include systems such as Winlink 2000, but for the most part it will not,
since they have two things that greatly changes the calculus compared to
the past.

1) Most of the traffic actually will go on VHF/UHF digital via
conventional packet and other new digital modes such as D-Star.

2) All the forwarding traffic is done via the internet, not through
amateur radio like the older Winlink system.

Personally, I am of the group that wants both internet and amateur radio
connections so that no matter what, our traffic can get through
alternate paths in an emergency or similar disaster situation. That is
the main current limitation of Winlink 2000. That is why some of us
promote the other digital enhancements to Winlink 2000 that the ARRL
Board of Directors has as its policy recommendation put in place last
year about this time. In other words, to enhance whatever we have, so
that it can become better that what we currently have.

In order to have such a system in place, it needs to be contantly
exercised, preferably on a daily basis so that it will be there when you
need it and the hams will know how to use it.

In our county, we have agreements between the local ARES/RACES group and
local Emergency Management and we play a number of roles in assisting
disasters, e.g., providing communications between incompatible systems,
specific hospital links via amateur radio that will work even without
normal telecommunications, etc. There is no digital component in the
county but we do have some digital efforts at the Section level.

As far as needing any regulations changes, that is another issue. From
what I have learned this week, it may be possible to have improved
digital communication on HF with higher baud rates. That would be fairly
trivial to change in the rules. What I do see is the restricting of
bandwidths to ~3 or so KHz and that will make high speed digital
protocols much more difficult since you can not ignore the science
behind it.  I am very skeptical that digital voice can ever hope to
compete with analog voice in a 3 KHz channel width and that probably has
to be in order to use the spectrum that we have in the most efficient
manner possible.

But I do expect non real time digital modes to improve, such as digital
data, however the new proposals do not address my biggest concern of
finally being able to intermix analog voice (and digital voice) with
both data and image. Again that does not require huge changes either.