Danny,

Even if the CW subbands shrink, it does not mean that there will be any
shortage of spectrum for CW. From what I have read of the proposals, any
narrow mode can always be used in a wider mode subband. Just like you
can today. No one loses anything. In fact, it is the exact opposite
because other hams will gain the privelege to use more modes over a
wider area. Particularly voice modes since they are the overwelmingly
most popular modes and use the most bandwidth for a given amount of
communication intelligence.

And I do agree with you that we may see an influx of new HF hams if we
do away with the CW requirement for the General class. I am not sure if
it will have as big an effect as some suggest. For example, my wife and
daughter, who are both Technican class hams, have no interest at all in
operating HF even if they were grandfathered in.

It is people like myself and I am sure many others on this group who did
"work their tails off" to get their code speed up to 20 wpm to pass the
exams at the FCC examining station. Today you only need 5 wpm of CW for
the HF licenses and yet this still does not seem to be causing a huge
flood of new HF operators. I think that is significant.

If you read a recent ARRL editorial you know that even ARRL realizes
that they should have kept some kind of entry level license (some kind
of Novice) to get new entrants access to HF. It really is quite
different to operate HF compared to the higher bands and if you don't
get to do it, your experiences as a ham are not the same as those of us
who operate on both.

If you look at the current amateur band allocations, the only special CW
allocations are for the Extra class hams at the bottom of some of the
bands. The Advanced class hams have some extra area for voice modes.
Because we are not going to be able to have many license classes (FCC
won't support it), it is probably best to keep the allocations
simplified with at most three classes of licenses. I suppose you can
look at it as a loss of priveleges if other lower classes can use what
was once considered exclusive portions of the band.

Won't we still have some segregation by class though? Otherwise there
would be no incentive to upgrade.