The real problem right now is not expanding our SSB segments, but
rather that expansion forcing other countries SSB even lower.
Canadian, Mexican, and Central American SSB stations are already far,
far down in the lower parts of 80m and 40m.  So far in fact that
sometimes it is hard to have CW or PSK qso's.  How many more will show
up if our SSB segments expand.  Sometimes we forget we are not the
only hams in the world.

Regardless of what is officially said, hams in other countries are
allowed to operate this low for only one reason, to avoid qrm from US
SSB stations.  They will continue to do, making it harder and harder
for both CW and the narrow digital modes.

Jim
WA0LYK