Tim,

You are reading way more than what was said. Nothing about the demise of
anything. You always have the diehards who operate older technology
equipment and modes. But I am saying that it is not as active as it once
was. Same thing can be said for CW. If you have a certain number of
active hams and they move to new modes, then they won't be using an
older mode at that specific time and space.

I did a little listening today on 20 meters and noticed an HK4, VE7,
KD5/QRP, EA5, 7X2 on PSK mode. In the "old" days I would bet that these
same stations would have been on RTTY. Then when I tuned up further into
the "RTTY" area, I copied a KG6 chatting with a KB6 on RTTY and also a
TU8 and EA7 and pileup going on. So there were more stations on PSK than
RTTY in terms of using the frequencies. I suppose you could call the
pileup stations all communicating too, and they were spread out some.

I am thankful, very thankful, for the computer based sound card modes.
Even though I used a Model 15 green key teleprinter some decades ago
with homebrew and commercial TU's, I would never want to go back.