Actually, busy detection, regardless of its efficacy has a problem.  I
pointed this out in my comments to the FCC on RM-11306.

If the originating station 'hears' a station it won't transmit.  But
what happens when the station turns it over to the other party that
the originating station can't hear.  Does it immediately begin
transmitting, wait one minute, two minutes, etc.  It may very well
time out and begin transmitting thus interfering with an ongoing
conversation.

To be sure of not interfering, both the originating (manual or
automatic) and the automatic station must communicate in some fashion
to insure that IF either station hears a signal, neither sends.

Jim
WA0LYK