===============original message follows===================

  From: KV9U <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

  From everything I have been discovering, there is very
little support
(or even knowledge of ) the NTS/D. The current direction
seems to be to
move toward the internet as the solution for handling e-mail
traffic
with minimal ham activity. This is partially due to the
desire for
timely traffic handling (one hour maximum delivery time that
can not be
done by NTS/D) and partially due to the desire to reduce the
number of
automatic stations operating on HF.

This is the basic philosophy of the Winlink 2000 system:
only use ham
radio for  a short distance to bridge a gap in the internet,
(unless
longer distances are needed for wide spread disasters or for
isolated
stations such as boaters),  keep HF stations off the air as
much as
possible to avoid HF forwarding due to the lack of bandspace
as it is,
and handle most of the short distance traffic via VHF/UHF
packet to
further keep messages off of HF, and also because an
increasing number
of new entrants do not have HF capability.

For casual types of operation, I think this is a good thing.
I do not
consider such systems true emergency communications systems
because with
certain single point failures, the system becomes
inoperative. The
decentralized NTS system can still get through, albeit with
inaccuracies
in the information and not necessarily in a timely manner.
Sometimes
that is still better than nothing getting through at all.