From: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:digitalradio@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Tim Gorman
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 4:51 PM
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [digitalradio] Re: NTS and traffic handling and digital

Rick,

I think the problem is more complex than this. I believe you will find that
sub-bands will ALWAYS be the answer of choice.

First, I use a pk-232mbx on pactor in the automatic sub-bands as part of the
NTS-D system. This box only listens for other pactor stations. If I were to
be told that this was going to be banned from the ham bands, I would drop out
of the NTS-D. So would others who use exactly the same equipment. None of us
would have $1000 or more to get equipped with SCS modems. It would be much
better to keep these operations in the sub-bands and keep them operating than
to just kill the system by default.

Second, I would be interested in how SCAMP operated when QRM came on the
frequency? Did it end the session so it wouldn't QRM the other guy? Or was
the busy detector disabled after the session had been established?

If the later, the busy detection scheme is only a placebo for many, many
situations and not a true fix. Since the systems today offer no true trunk
system control signals (i.e. calls to a busy channel are not abandoned by the
originating end but just continue to be attempted) as soon as the automatic
station detects a clear channel (the station it could hear turns the
transmission over to a station that can't be heard) the session will be
started and will cause QRM. Bottom line? No difference. The QRM is just
delayed by one transmission period.

The only situations which would be truly helped would be those where the
automatic station can hear ALL stations in the QSO on the frequency of use.

If SCAMP stops operation upon busy detection, even after a session is
established,  it is likely that the system would come to a screeching halt
during busy times of the day. Since it is likely this is when long distance
propagation may be at its best, system throughput could be drastically
impacted.

It would appear that the *only* way to minimize impacts of the automatic
stations is to maintain automatic subbands. Other operations who want to
venture into these areas should understand that protections against QRM are
not what they are in other areas.

For those who think that restricting automatic operations to small subbands is
not fair to operations like Winlink, I would be happy to lay out changes in
operation that would let Winlink pass all of its traffic on five 500hz
channels. That's not five channels per band but five total, and Pactor II at
that.

To those discussing email content. It is my opinion, for whatever that is
worth, that it is *not* the content of a specific communication that is the
problem, per se, but the *regularity* of third party communications. Regular
communications with third parties are specifically mentioned in the Part 97
rules. It would seem to be axiomatic that for one time use or even
non-regular use, almost any content could be allowed, even it is not what
most would consider acceptable. When the use is for third-party
communications on a regular basis, especially the *same* third party all the
time, the use enters a different realm.

For instance, I keep getting the issue of weather reports thrown out when the
subject comes up. These are *important* to ships at sea.

Well, what would happen if I started broadcasting the local NWS system on
3920khz or 146.52Mhz during times of bad weather? Wouldn't those weather
reports be important to people on the road during periods of snow and
freezing weather? If I were to do this on a regular basis, e.g. 24/7, does
anyone on here think it would take more than a few days for me to get a
letter from Riley?

Would the Winlink people support having this type of operation on the ham
bands?

Just as there are other radio services providing this service (i.e. the NWS),
there are other radio services providing for regular, third party email from
ships, yachts, and boats, be they on land or sea.

tim ab0wr