Here is a snippet from Bonnie and the HFLINK group

"This afternoon, I heard John K6ERO calling on the 20m sounding
channel, 14109.5kHz USB.  I linked with him there and sent an
AMD: "QSY SSB VOICE THIS BAND". Then I called him on 14346 and we
linked there. We talked for a while on voice SSB. The band was
also open to the Pacific at that time".

That above is what makes ALE so interesting, combining digital
messages with software controlled radios etc.

Andy K3UK