From what I have read here and elsewhere on ALE, the potential is there, but the software is not.
Look forward to new software development

.......ALE protocols are only 125 baud (375 bps) and not very wide and not a
constant flow (such as MT63, FS-1052, PACTOR etc.) so I do feel that
daily use of ALE (but not full multi-frequency Sounding) can be
supported on the ham bands with little impact. Its a wonderful way
for groups of stations to constantly scan the bands looking for call
to then have a QSO in an ALE or other protocol or QSY off to a voice
contact, there really is nothing else quite like it and use properly
on the ham bands, it has great potential to decrease crowding if you
understand its application and apply it properly in my opinion.

Sincerely,

/s/ Steve, N2CKH/AAR2EY
www.n2ckh.com

Need a Digital mode QSO? Connect to  Telnet://cluster.dynalias.org