From: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:digitalradio@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Andrew O'Brien
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2006 7:47 PM
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [digitalradio] Another look at ALE

With the interest in some of PAX2's capabilities, I wonder if folks
here have forgotten about ALE?  It seems to me that it offers link
abilities, message exchanges , signal information, and much more.  I
still think ALE is a missed "digital" mode.  It is more
than "digital", but people here might want to revisit it.

PAX2 interest seems to center on the responder/beacon features and the
use of the mailbox to contact people not at their desk.
ALE's "sounding" and scanning accomplishes much of the aforementioned.
There are also some email capabilities and  message sending
abilities.  The scanning,  and use of data to determine best
path/band,  essentially enable someone to "drop by" your station
rather than send a message.

I wonder why we don't see that much "action" on this reflector when it
comes to ALE, but a new mode gets jumped on quickly?

Andy K3UK

Need a Digital mode QSO? Connect to  Telnet://cluster.dynalias.org

Need a Digital mode QSO? Connect to  Telnet://cluster.dynalias.org