--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, DuBose Walt Civ AETC CONS/LGCA
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Andy,
>
> Are you talking about Automatic Link Establsihment capability to
connect to
> stations or the service messaging protocol of ALE just to send
text with?

Good question.  I started my thoughts in reaction to all the
interest here in PAX2,  and previously in Olivia.  It seems to me
that many on this list enjoy the experiments in finding a digital
mode that performs well in marginal situations.  There are also
those that like the ability to beacon and use the radio for digital
message handling.  ALE , or at least the use of ALE in PC-ALE,
appears to provide most of this.  I no ALE expert, and only use it
on a basic amateur transceiver, but ALE linking , use of
trace/soundings, and use of propagation data ,  appears to help the
ham in working under marginal conditions .  The digital message
ability of PC-ALE appears to provide some of the functions that PAX2
does.  I have not really tested how ALE messages work under poor
conditions.

So, I guess what I am saying is that ALE and PC-ALE could provide
much of what the experimental digital hams want.  It is not an key-
board rag-chew mode but could be used to set-up such rag-chews.  It
DOES appear to be a reliable mode/system for traffic handling and
emergency situations.

Andy K3UK