><Walt/K5YFW wrote><
> There has been some discussion about what mode does what
> and what is needed/desired.
> We have had a little discussion on what the problems were
> during Katrina with digital communications.
> ...An automatic call ability, such as SELCALL, would be very
> nice to have.
> I believe that the type of operations I was involved in, and
> will be again this hurricane season, are useful in passing
> many if not most types of
> traffic on HF.

Hi Walt,

While Alan KM4BA was setting up stations for Red Cross in the "Katrina
Zone" in Mississippi, several of us in the amateur ALE net maintained
contact with him many times every day. Alan used 100W mobile ALE with
PCALE in a laptop through FT897 and ATU. He used a status reporting
function that is part of the new ham ALE Geo Position Reporting
(ALE-GPR) standard, and it was linked to his GPS to give his location
(similar to APRS). We were able to call back and forth just about any
time of the day or night, get his GPR automatically, link with him
every day on voice... even during the solar storms that happened in
the second week, sometimes with great signals for short time periods
on frequencies such as 21MHz or 24MHz, which was not predicted by any
charts or even the ionosonde maps. Sometimes, during the solar
disturbances, I was able to link with Alan easier from here in
California than were the stations closer to him.

Really, when you get down to it, the biggest strong points of ALE is
the standard itself, since it is becoming nearly ubiquitous built in
to government and commercial transceivers. There are so many EOC,
SHARES, NGO organizations, and government HF stations now that have
ALE built in to their transceivers... in an emergency, the ability to
inter-operate using available HF equipment is a big advantage.

By the way, the feature of ALE we use often, is the AMD short
messaging system  (Automatic Message Delivery), which is accessed from
the front panel of embedded-ALE transceivers. After making the initial
link contact via ALE, we "negotiate" via the AMD what modes are
available to both sides of the QSO. It is easy then to go to voice or
some keyboarding mode, or do an ARQ file exchange.

Bonnie KQ6XA

Bonnie KQ6XA