--- Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I know this is not an antenna forum, but hoping that
> all the experience represented here can assist me.
>
> When using a dipole antenna fed with 450-ohm
> ladderline, does the length of the feedline matter?

For sure! It ALWAYS does.

> The dipole I'm going to order comes with
> 100 feet of ladderline,

But you also have to take into account dipole length
and diameter, height over ground, frequency of
operation, length of the ladderline, separation and
diameter of the conductors (ie, characteristic
impedance), etc.

> but I'll likely only use 40 or 50. Is it safe to cut
> off the length not needed, or will this mess things
> up? If I can't cut it, what do I do with it?

Decide by yourself what to do with the help of
simulation software.

I might suggest MMANA. There are others around that
might also be suitable.

73 de Jose, CO2JA

http://mail.yahoo.com