Ok...if I were using a keyboard-to-keyboard mode...and I was REALLY using the
keyboard, a 20-40 WPM mode would be fine if it were 99% error free and worked
down below a 0 dB SNR...and a 500 Hz or even 1 KHz bandwidth mode would be Ok.
However, if I wanted/needed to send a text ot binary file, I would want want a
high thoughtput, error free mode that worked down below -5 dB SNR.  If that
took 3 or 4 Khz, I woudln't care.

I tune across the hand and really don't hear that much CW or data...just in
very small segments of the band.  What bothers me is that we have 150 KHz of
band space for "data" (as we do on 40M in the U.S.) and the total throughput of
the entire spectrum is less than 19200 bps.

Another thing that is bothersome to me is that we don't use modes that can be
offset a few Hz from each other and still interoperate.  I have just finished
reading some papers on DRM and like OFDM systems and it seems that if you had 3
Khz band width you might be able to put 3 or 4 OFDM QSOs in that bandwidth and
not bother each other.

Its really not pie-in-the-sky, its just utilizing the modes that we have or
modifying them slightly so that we can accomplish this task.

While I'm on a roll, I just hate a QSO between just two individuals...let's
open it up to 3 or 4 individuals and pass the token around between the members
of the QSO.

Wacha Think,

Walt/K5YFW