--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "ve6pg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> ..hi from tim...i'm new to this group,and have a question...a friend
of
> mine told me that i could use a heathkit hd15 phone patch,between my
> sound card,and my kenwood ts950sd...the kenwood has input/output for
> phone patch...both transmit,and receive...anyone out there know
about
> this?...as well,do i require certain software,to run the digi-
> modes?...i have not been on any digi stuff for years,and even
then,it
> was packet,and rtty,with a dumb terminal,about 15 yrs
> ago...tnx...tim....sk...

Hi Tim, I am not sure about the 950 an the HD15 but I am sure someone
here will know.

As for digital mode software,  you are in luck.. there are lots of
applications that are easily obtained.

Currently on the HF bands the most popular digital mode (outside of
CW) is PSk31.  You will find signals easily on 14070 and other parts
of the HF band .  PSk31 is mostly a "rag-chew" mode but folks
occasionally chase DX or contest via this mode.  RTTY is still there,
especially on weekend's when there might be a RTTY contest, or when
there is a DXpedition.  RTTY rag-chews are still there but not as
often as they used to be.  The remaining digital modes:  MFSK16,
Olivia, Chip, Domino, MT63, Throb, ALE's digital messaging, Packet,
Pax2, CCW, Contestia, PACTOR, RTTYM, Hell, FSK31, PSK63 , and others,
drop off considerable in terms of utilization, you can go several
hours without hearing a QSO in these modes.  Another digital mode,
SSTV ,is also quite popular, exchanging pictures via digital radio.

There are two software applications that provide you with almost all
of the above modes.  One called Multipsk and one called MixW.  Mixw
costs about $50 , I think, but you can download a free trial for 30
days.  Multipsk31 is mostly free, a few advanced features require the
registered version,  which I think costs about $40.  The free version
does not expire.  Both of these are very powerful applications, they
do have a learning curve but good support is available via specfic
Yahoo groups and via this group.

If you want to start with just the most commonly found digital modes -
PSK31, RTTY, and MFSK16-  there are several totally free applications
with less of a learning curve (generally) that provide these modes.
Winwarbler, Logger32 (with a logging program) , MMVARI, and Hamscope
are ones that come to mind.  If you want to try JUST PSK; Digipan is a
very popular free program and is very easy to set-up.

Google any of the aformentioned software titles and you will find easy
downloads.  Let the folks here know when u need more help.  Setting up
is not too diffcult.

Andy K3UK