Oh, I see, Steve. You believe that the internet is insufficiently
reliable, despite the multi-billion dollar investments by telecom
companies and suppliers, governments, and research institutions. Thus
there's an opportunity for amateurs to build a more reliable means of
conveying email thats independent of the internet using HF links.

I'm sure there are people on the planet who view the internet as
insufficiently reliable, but most of them are in uniform, and have
the multi-billion dollar budgets required to build and maintain
networks sufficiently reliable for their purposes. My guess is that
they don't use HF either; they use some combination of fiber and
satellites, and are researching entangled quantum bits for their next
generation of capability.

The rest of us think the internet is just fine, except when the power
goes down or the local ISP runs into trouble. Overcoming such outages
is a MUCH simpler problem than replacing the internet with an HF-
based system as Walt -- and evidently you -- suggest.

    73,

        Dave, AA6YQ

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, Steve Hajducek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

http://open5066.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

http://www.bt.cdc.gov/planning/coopagreement/pdf/fy06guidance_qa2.pdf

> Just what will take place within the Amateur Radio Service WRT
STANAG
> 5066 is unknown at this time, in the U.S. nothing will take place
> until the FCC bring the rules up to date and even then it will
depend
> on just how much they update the rules as to just what can be
> accomplished on HF. Other countries do not suffer the same
> limitations and then some other countries suffer worst limitations,
> it an age old story in that regard.
>
> What is obvious to me and many if not all is that for the Amateur
> Radio Service to really be effective as a "Service" and not just a
> way to have fun with radio, we need to have a full blown
> radio-to-radio e-mail (or automated radio relay if you prefer)
system
> in place worldwide to meet the demands of the Amateur Radio
Service,