I agree that an application that convey can convey email to the
internet via HF would be handy during emergencies or other
disruptions, and during portable operation (though 3G cellular and
WiMax are beginning to reduce the need for the latter). Enabling it
exploit a direct internet connection when available would not be
difficult.

This is a very different objective than the one Walt suggested, which
if I understood it correctly is to provide reliable worldwide
conveyance of email via HF links with no reliance on the internet
whatsoever.

   73,

      Dave, AA6YQ

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, KV9U <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> I might point out that the Winlink system is a total HF solution
and
> operated for many years. The owners of the system felt that this
system
> was too slow and wanted a system that would operate primarily with
> e-mail connectivity. This developed into Winlink 2000 and removed
much
> of the HF traffic off the ham bands and unto the internet. Of
course
> such a system doesn't work if the internet fails, but the
assumption is
> that can never happen except over a small area at any one time.
>
> The Winlink system (some call it Winlink Classic) which evolved
from the
> earlier Aplink system is used for some MARS activity, or was at one
> time, and it is also the same software that is used for the ARRL
NTS/D