I understand that your proposed HF system would be entirely
independent of the internet, Walt. My points are

1. If we could reliably distinguish attack payloads from valid
payloads, we'd already be doing this on the internet -- where its
easier to accomplish given the hierarchical routing structure. Our
ability to detect attack payloads has significantly improved over
time, but are far from 100% -- in part because we're chasing a moving
target.

2. Since we can't distinguish attack payloads from valid payloads,
your HF-based system would be equally vulnerable. What would stop an
attacker from injecting an attack payload into your system that when
delivered to its destination exploits a buffer overrun in the
operating system and installs a bot that can then be commanded by
subsequently delivered messages? Since it relies on HF links, your
proposed system requires large numbers of user-operated nodes to
perform the routing and terminal functions; it would be trivial for
an attacker to join this system, operate one or more nodes, and use
them to inject his attack.

3. I did not say that an attack on the internet would bring down your
proposed HF-based system. I said that an attacker would be foolish to
bring down the internet without simultaneously bringing down your
backup system. This would be accomplished with independent but
synchronized attacks.

4. My suggestion that internet backbone hubs be replicated and
hardened was in response to your mentioning their vulnerability to
physical attack. I made no claim that such hardening would render the
internet less vulnerable to a cyber-attack.

A parallel email system implemented with the same software technology
used in today's internet would provide no increase in protection from
a committed attacker. None of the amateur protocols in use today were
designed to resist intentional attack. Inspecting these applications
with static analysis tools would likely reveal long lists of
vulnerabilities.

The "redundancy from multiple identical systems" approach only works
when you can deploy so many independent systems that an attacker
cannot hope to disable them all, and is thus deterred from attacking
any. This may work with strategic weapons, but no one remotely
understands how to manage thousands of independent worldwide email
systems.

I do believe there is a role for an RF-based email system that would
complement the internet's email delivery system by supporting
portable operation and by standing ready to compensate for local
outages. The "boil the ocean" approach that you've been advocating
can only delay the development and deployment of this far more
practical application.

   73,

      Dave, AA6YQ

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "DuBose Walt Civ AETC CONS/LGCA"