From: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, September 01, 2006 11:11 AM
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [digitalradio] USA; Baud Limit = 300 Symbols Per Second (HF
Digital Data)

>So what would be the difference if I transmitted 64 tones/carriers each
>modulated at 300 baud but transmitted them through one transmitter or 64
>tones/carriers through 64 transmitters into one antenna?

Walt,

 From a regulatory standpoint I don't think there is a problem.  I think
that Pawel Jalocha SP9VRC was concerned about occupying too large amount of
bandwidth.   Most U.S. Hams consider the RTTY/Data subbands to be narrow
band .  This is evident in the regulations.  When the verbiage of
97.307(f)(3) was written (1977), there was only CW and FSK in the RTTY/Data
Subbands,.  In the Phone/Image subbands there were only analog emissions
and they were AM, SSB and SSTV.  The FCC tried to segregate the subbands by
bandwidth, but there were some problems with AM and Fast Scan TV.  Those
groups mounted a campaign to stop the bandwidth effort at that time.  The
compromise was to keep the narrow/wide segregation, but do it without
enumerating bandwidths.  This is what we have today.   Specifying a maximum
Baud rate does not necessarily specify a maximum bandwidth.

73,

Mark N5RFX