Can you explain how it is that you can run a symbol rate of 2400 (baud)
with 188-110A and it works very well running at this extremely high
speed for HF? And yet other modes, such as Packet, don't work very well
at 300 baud, and Walt has pointed out that government studies had show
that under 50 baud was about the optimum for the types of conditions we
often find on HF?

Why would we not just increase the baud rate of MT-63 or MFSK16 to get a
similar speed boost if it can work that well?

How tight do you need the frequency tolerance to be to enhance weak
signal modes? The ICOM Pro rigs run at around 0.5 ppm, which seems
several orders of magnitude better than what some of the digital mode
programs require. I wonder how much better a weak signal/difficult
condition mode we could come up with if there was a tighter frequency
tolerance.

You might recall the early developement of Clover I, by Ray, W7GHM. If I
remember right, the signal was phaselocked to WWV or other time standard
frequency. Later this was abandoned with DSP developed as a bus card and
the computer mostly being used as a dumb terminal, but it will never be
as tight a frequency tolerance as 10 e -6 or so:)