Very important information, Rein, and thank you for sharing it with the
group. This is the kind of real world information we need to hear.
Considering the enormous amount of bandwidth MT-63 takes up, it would
have to work several times faster and better than a narrow band mode to
warrant such BW useage.

I suppose a mode like MFSK16 would be very difficult to tune in, but if
we could have a similar mode that operated several times faster with say
no more than 1 KHz BW, would this be a possible contender for a robust
waveform when compared to PSK63?

73,p

Rick, KV9U

Rein Couperus wrote:

>I have been testing MT63 heavily for quite some time for use with psmail, but
>PSK63 outperforms it,
>so I am back with PSK63.
>
>The biggest drawback (let alone the 2kHz bandwidth required) is the time it
>needs to gain sync.
>
>MT63 could have a life where larger blocks are sent (e.g. for PSKftp) but from
>experience in the last 12 month I know that
>the optimum block size is more in the 16 ... 64 byte arena, which excludes
>MT63 for use in HF ARQ.
>
>My measurements on 10 Mhz show that MT63 has 20% less errors than PSK63 on the
>same channel.
>The is not enough to offset the negative points.
>
>Moreover the biggest channel killer is the Pactor 2/3 QRM, not QRN or noise.
>
>73,
>
>Rein PA0R

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional