> Very important information, Rein, and thank you for sharing it with the
> group. This is the kind of real world information we need to hear.
> Considering the enormous amount of bandwidth MT-63 takes up, it would
> have to work several times faster and better than a narrow band mode to
> warrant such BW useage.
>
> I suppose a mode like MFSK16 would be very difficult to tune in, but if
> we could have a similar mode that operated several times faster with say
> no more than 1 KHz BW, would this be a possible contender for a robust
> waveform when compared to PSK63?

Possibly... But look at the facts:
PSK63 bandwidth 100 Hz,          MFSK16 250 Hz
PSKmail sync range 20 Hz          MFSK16  5 Hz
PSKmail throughput 67 wpm      MFSK16 42 wpm (30 WPM with arq and 64byte
blocks).

The sync range is important, as the server is on a fixed frequency (nobody to
point-and-click here).
AFC range on the server is limited to +- 15 Hz, and sync will be quick if the
client is within 10  Hz of
the center frequency.

If you would quadruple the bandwidth of MFSK16 by using a Baud rate 4x as high
you would get:
MFSK16 Bandwidth   1000 Hz
MFSK sync range 20 Hz
MFSK Throughput (without arq overhead) 170 wpm (150 wpm with arq and  64 byte
data blocks)

This is not too far from the MT63 throughput of 200 wpm without arq, in half
the bandwidth.
But I am not sure the 4x symbol rate would still be as robust as that of MT63,
and whether
the error rate improvement compared to PSK63 would be large enough to warrant a
bandwidth
of 10x that of PSK63 is questionable.

Still, if it were available I would like to try it, as it may be better in
certain forms of QSB.  The QSB we
encounter on the path between Benicassim(Spain) and Stockholm(Sweden) is often
so severe that
the signal is gone completely for several (sometimes 10) seconds, especially
during the times propagation
switches between 1F and 2F mode, and they appear simultaneously.  The only
solution is then to
'work around the holes', like you would do when driving on a Montenegran road.
Also, the better error rate may result in less repeated blocks, the only
quality ctiterion for a PSKmail channel.

I have tried MFSK16 for PSKmail also. We are using stable equipment for PSKmail
(FT897D), so 5 Hz is just about
within the range of possibilities of the rig.
But improvement with respect to PSK63 was marginal, the throughput only half
the speed and the bandwidth 2.5x
Moreover I had to increase power to get those improvements (small wonder, the
power is in a larger bandwidth).
Until I have tried it I will remain sceptical. The 63 Hz Baudrate of PSK63 is
pretty well ideal for most circumstances at HF.

Looks like Skip Teller did a good job when he made PSK63...

73,

Rein PA0R

PS: You may want to look at an example of what PSK63-ARQ can do under marginal
circumstances at
http://pskmail.wikispaces.com/PSK_arq

Path length to qso partner as well as the server was about 1000 Miles.

--
http://pa0r.blogspirit.com

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional