Doc, you said..."Not to discourage innovation but perhaps a very centralized
and unbiased Web page that compares and contrasts all of the modes would assist
Hams in making choices for the best of the myriad choices."

I think that Patrick has a good start with his mode page.

A problem I see is with us (hams) is that we don't really evaluate a mode or
signal's  preformace under different conditions and uses...just how "we" use it.

Are we shooting ourselves in the foot here?

I've been trying to get folks to look at modes for 1) intended use, 2) how
error free per  intended use, 3) how robuse per intended use, 4) throughput per
intended use.

Perhaps someone could take on capturing reports and monthly asking Patrick to
post them on his web page(s)?

Walt/K5YFW

EXAMPLE

MODE

MFSK16 (click on MFSK16 goes to Patrick's mode description)
Intended Use    How Error Free  How Hobuse              Throughput
Overall Rating

Chat                     rate 1 - 10    rate 1 - 10             rate 1 - 10
        rate 1 - 10
Messaging                rate 1 - 10    rate 1 - 10             rate 1 - 10
        rate 1 - 10
File Transfer    rate 1 - 10    rate 1 - 10             rate 1 - 10
rate 1 - 10