I thought about replying to this and I wrote 2 long replies but what could I
say that hasn't already been hashed out before?

Look at this way: An SCS TNC _IS_ COTS hardware.

It works great. And you know what, I got what I paid for. Its one damn good
TNC. I didn't have to make any cables. I just plugged it in and I was ready
to go. Upgrading is a breeze.

But it also has another plus, support. Not just tech support but product
upgrades. People wanted APRS and now it is available. I wouldn't be
surprised to see an SCS product that had a PC104 computer inside to run
winlink or packlink/telpac.

At that point you'll have a computer with a built in DSP. Probably for about
$1K.

Charlie Crizer, KF4MNE
Fairfax County (Alexandria) Virginia, US
Home QTH: 38-47.96N / 77-05.17W - FM18kt
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  - Winlink2000/Airmail