Michael,

I was working with an very old DataGeneral mainframe using X.25 mail when
RFC-822 was released for comments (RFC=request for comments).  My office
evaluated it and found it to be much more reliable than our X.25 mail and much
faster in delivery.

By 1990, we have stopped using X.25 mail and SMTP was being used on a Pyramid
Unix box and we have a new DataGeneral for our database use.

My point is that if you go back in the early 80's and look at the original
comments on RFC-822, you will find an X.25 mailbox [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Yes, SMTP is not 100% reliable, in fact while I type this my network operations
center is trying to find out why one of our operating locations is not
receiving our E-Mail and why we are not receiving theirs even though we are
both getting system delivery receipts.  The problem has been going on since
Friday but the users weren't aware of a problem.

The fact is that SMPT or any Internet, TCP-IP or other protocol will have
delivery, latency problems and just will flat not work at times.

However, point-to-point links have a better chance of connectivity than
multi-layer and multi-hop systems.

If the Internet could have an "administrator" right at the console of every
mail server, you would have a system with few or very hold ups in
delivery...much like a point-to-point system.

Its the operator that makes the system work...we call them amateur radio
operators.  I R 1

73,

Walt/K5YFW