Does anyone know what of Pactor I/II/III is covered by patents
versus what is proprietary information, or trade secrets?  With
patents there is at least supposed to be full disclosure of how
the thing works; and patents have a limited lifetime.

Then we have talked about STANAG-xxx and MIL-STD-xxx and presumably
those protocols are published and are open for implementation.
Whether they are appropriate for amateur radio is a different
question.

Then you can look at web pages for vendors like Rockwell-Collins
and see that they are offering e-mail between airplanes and ground
stations, and that sort of thing.  Are they using the published
protocols or something proprietary?

One reason for adopting STANAG-xxx is to permit interoperation with
non-amateur services, should that become necessary.  Another reason
is that those schemes are developed for agencies who can pay big
bucks for the best that can be achieved, so they are likely to
be technically superior to things independently invented.  Although
amateur radio may involve a niche - maybe we want a technically
superior way to do what the agencies using STANAG-xxx don't
want to do.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: