From: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of jgorman01
Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2006 10:23
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [digitalradio] digital modes and THE RADIO

I've been reading all the posts over the last several weeks about
single tone/multi-tone, baud/bps, narrow/wide, etc. digital
modes/modems.  The one thing I see missing is any discussion of the
actual RADIO's being used in these systems.  Kind of funny in a
digital RADIO forum populated by amateur RADIO operators. Perhaps I
am just too impatient and the discussions will eventually
end up discussing the radios being used.

Some of my observations.

Lots of discussions about specifications for different modems and
their operation.  I haven't seen any discussion about the
corresponding specifications of the radios they are connected to.
Just wonder how ham radio transceiver audio chains, mixers, filters,
and RF chains, both transmit and receive, compare to the mil spec
transceivers used with mil spec modems?

Audio purists spend thousands of dollars on pink/white noise
generators, equalizers, audio amps, speakers, etc. to insure flat
radio audio chains.  Are there amplitude/frequency variances
introduced in the preamps and amps?  Are there phase/frequency
variations introduced in the mixers, amps, and filters?  Do these
have any effect on trying to cram high speed modem tones through the
system?  I suspect that there can be as much or more effects due to
these variables as propagation introduces.

Has anyone measured the difference between a $50,000 Harris HF
tranceiver designed for this purpose and a $500 Icom tranceiver to
see if the throughput is better?

Perhaps I'm just an old fogey who still enjoys messing with and
building radios and am not competent enough in the digital modes to
add much to this discussion.  However, I can assure you building a
mic preamp or a receive audio amp that has a flat amplitude response
over 300 Hz to 3500 Hz is no mean feat let alone the phase
differences that can be introduced by using heavy feedback to
acheive this response.  I can also tell you from first hand
experience that building a crystal filter without amplitude/phase
variances is very difficult.

I just wonder if some of this shouldn't also be discussed along with
the "digital" side of the conversation.  A system must have all of
its individual components discussed and designed.  The RADIO is a
very important part of this.

Jim
WA0LYK

discussion)