Packet COULD have been a solution, but had a
modulation format unable to do the job.

As a MultiPSK user, I think that PSK31 is inadequate,
maybe PSKFEC could perform better, but I would try
PAX.

It has some long keying delays I don't like from the
moment you press the ENTER key, but is an ARQ mode
capable of providing error less reception.

I did not evaluate it in depth, but I did like the
results I saw.

So, if the need is to transfer a file and comment it
afterwards, maybe that's one solution already at hand
that should be evaluated.

Jose, CO2JA

--- DuBose Walt Civ AETC CONS/LGCA
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Bill,
>
> In the past the HF communications between the NWS
> offices via amateur radio has been voice because
> there was not a reliable data mode available to
> them.  In exercises they have tried PSK31 but were
> not satisfied with the results.  They have not tried
> MT63 thus far.  I because none of the operators are
> familiar with it and they based their use on PSK31
> on the advice of the ARRL Section Emergency
> Coordinator and Section Manager.  They also
> considered using Pactor III but for some reason the
> NWS didn't buy into it.
>
> The NWS wants DATA and Voice on the same
> channel...send data and then discuss the data.
>
> The same is true for HAZMAT teams wanting to talk to
> state, federal and other HAZMAT experts about an
> existing condition.  The data they want to send is
> also very large and after the parties have the data,
> they want to discuss it via voice communications.
>
> I've seen the same scenario many times when a two
> doctors are looking at the same X-Ray, MRI or
> CAT-scan and are discussion it on the telephone.
> This is the world we live in and when it comes to
> decisions that the NWS or HAZMAT team make can save
> or cause the loss of many lives, they want what they
> want and nothing is going to change that.
>
> If we can't help out in this area, then we need to
> flat out say we can't and only try to produce new HF
> data techniques that meet our amateur radio of
> personal needs.
>
> Walt/K5YFW

http://mail.yahoo.com

<*> Your email settings: