Yes, you're almost dead one what I was trying to say.  You just
can't ignore such an important part of the system by just assuming
that the RADIO (any ham radio) will perform in the manner you wish.

What are the requirements for a RADIO to optimally handle the modem
signals being discussed?  You have to know this side of the equation
before being able to decide upon modem characteristics.

I just pointed out some of the audio issues.  There are many other
amplitude/phase variations introduced in each stage of a tranceiver
from if/rf amps, to filters, mixers, etc.  And, you must take into
account that not only does a transmitter introduce these but the
receiver does also.  So, in essence, you can double some of the
variables.

Jim
WA0LYK

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, KV9U <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
frequencies.

> Another thing that I came across in my web searching was that
amateur
> equipment generally has group delays that make it difficult to
even
> employ some of the modems we have been discussing.
>
> I wonder if any of the modem experts might comment on that.
>
> 73,
>
> Rick, KV9U
>

> jgorman01 wrote:
>
> >I've been reading all the posts over the last several weeks about
> >single tone/multi-tone, baud/bps, narrow/wide, etc. digital
> >modes/modems.  The one thing I see missing is any discussion of
the
> >actual RADIO's being used in these systems.  Kind of funny in a
> >digital RADIO forum populated by amateur RADIO operators. Perhaps
> >am just too impatient and the discussions will eventually
> >end up discussing the radios being used.
> >
> >Some of my observations.
> >
> >Lots of discussions about specifications for different modems and
> >their operation.  I haven't seen any discussion about the
> >corresponding specifications of the radios they are connected to.
> >Just wonder how ham radio transceiver audio chains, mixers,
filters,
> >and RF chains, both transmit and receive, compare to the mil spec
> >transceivers used with mil spec modems?
> >
> >Audio purists spend thousands of dollars on pink/white noise
> >generators, equalizers, audio amps, speakers, etc. to insure flat
ham
> >radio audio chains.  Are there amplitude/frequency variances
> >introduced in the preamps and amps?  Are there phase/frequency
> >variations introduced in the mixers, amps, and filters?  Do these
> >have any effect on trying to cram high speed modem tones through
the
> >system?  I suspect that there can be as much or more effects due
> >these variables as propagation introduces.
> >
> >Has anyone measured the difference between a $50,000 Harris HF
> >tranceiver designed for this purpose and a $500 Icom tranceiver
> >see if the throughput is better?
> >
> >Perhaps I'm just an old fogey who still enjoys messing with and
> >building radios and am not competent enough in the digital modes
> >add much to this discussion.  However, I can assure you building
> >mic preamp or a receive audio amp that has a flat amplitude
response
> >over 300 Hz to 3500 Hz is no mean feat let alone the phase
> >differences that can be introduced by using heavy feedback to
> >acheive this response.  I can also tell you from first hand
> >experience that building a crystal filter without amplitude/phase
> >variances is very difficult.
> >
> >I just wonder if some of this shouldn't also be discussed along
with
> >the "digital" side of the conversation.  A system must have all
of
> >its individual components discussed and designed.  The RADIO is a

Telnet://cluster.dynalias.org

> >Other areas of interest:

discussion)

> >Yahoo! Groups Links