De: Sergio Manrique Almeida [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Enviado el: jueves, 21 de septiembre de 2006 17:20
Para: 'digitalradio@yahoogroups.com'
Asunto: RE: [digitalradio] Re: digital modes and THE RADIO

Some time ago telcos used to offer analog leased-data lines services -
two-way end-to-end lines, on a terrestrial 300-3400 Hz channel.

To be able to accomodate a 9600 bit/s data signal, the lines had to be
equalised both in frequency and group delay, according to ITU-T M.1020
Recommendation. So the equalisation was a two stages (and two tones)
iterative process:

-For equalising in frequency, a sweeping signal was sent - alternating every
frequency step (the actual sweep signal) with a 800 Hz tone, which was the
reference. Then it took to adjust manually each of the equaliser's cells (I
think there was one cell each 200 Hz), as you saw the received spectrum at
your testing equipment screen.

-For equalising the group delay the process was the same, being the
difference the reference tone frequency, which had to be 1800 Hz. As a
matter of fact, I think the PSK-modulated carrier (or QAM, or whatever) was
at 1800 Hz. Of course, the biggest group delay deviations were at the
bandwidth limits, that is, at the channel filter slopes.

Those lines had equalizers (TX & RX, frequency and group delay) at each end,
usually at the telco data center at each side.

That was long ago. Before the Internet and Nx64 kbit/s digital lines.

I think amplitude/group delay can be critical issues for amateur radio
Digital Voice and wideband data modes. It would be nice to have sound card
modes with a kind of adaptive equalizer plugged in. Or at least, a static
equalizer to compensate our own SSB transceiver responses both in TX and RX.

I measured the frequency response of my HF transceiver (a compact one) at
SSB and it was far from flat. I do not have equipment to measure group
delay, but perhaps it can be implemented virtually as a sound card
application.

73,
Sergio, EA3DU
[EMAIL PROTECTED]