Hello Jerry,

>PAX2 monitored a QSO on 30 meters, it was way to slow, I
>don't feel it is a viable keyboard mode.
If the number of retries is high (in noisy conditions) the speed can be low but
in normal conditions the speed is 50 wpm after protocol (rough speed before
protocol: 115 wpm).
It is not exactly a keyboard mode, as a standard keyboard mode is half duplex
(PSK31, RTTY). Here it is a "protocol full-duplex" (not a "hardware full
duplex", of course), which means that both hams can type without interruption,
the protocol managing the transmission between them.

>Maybe for HF APRS in which I thought was the original intent of PAX2?
Yes, it can be used to transmit APRS position through 2 repeaters if necessary
(in unproto or in connected mode). It can also be used as a responder and as a
mail box.

Tests are?/were done recently by Jonathan Kf4HOU ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

73
Patrick