Just a quick example.  In order to achieve a flat passband of 3 kHz
you may really need an amplifier whose bandwidth is 10 or even 20
kHz.  To achieve this, you probably can't use just one single stage
of audio amplification with a simple emitter bypass electrolytic
capacitor, you'll need several stages of Class A (both DC and AC
bias stabilized) thereby raising the costs significantly.  Precision
components will be used rather than run of the mill 10% tolerance.
It all adds up both in cost and performance.

Jim
WA0LYK

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "DuBose Walt Civ AETC
CONS/LGCA" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Which could (probably does) account for the higher price of
commercial HF communications radios.  So why do Codan radios cost so
much more than say the ICOM IC-F7000?