Op amps may very well be a good solution for a very linear
amplifier.  However, my point is how many current amateur radios use
this much more expensive solution in their audio chains?  My
transceivers are dated, as I suspect many hams are, but not so old
that they couldn't have used op amps for a very fine wide bandwidth
amp.  I'll be honest, I also don't know what kind of phase shift
problems op amps will have even if the amplitude variations are
minimized.

On the other hand, it has been a while since I investigated op amps
and they had some issues.  At the time, there were none offered that
could deal adequately with a balanced modulator (RF mixer) either
because of the toroids used in a balanced modulator nor could they
provide the +7 dBm or higher powers needed for this purpose.
Bipolars were the best solution for this type of need.  In addition,
power supply requirements, i.e., +12/-12 volts to get good common
mode rejection was also needed.

Jim
WA0LYK

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Jose A. Amador" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> jgorman01 wrote:
>
> >  Just a quick example. In order to achieve a flat passband of 3
kHz
> >  you may really need an amplifier whose bandwidth is 10 or even
20
> >  kHz. To achieve this, you probably can't use just one single
stage of
> >  audio amplification with a simple emitter bypass electrolytic
> >  capacitor, you'll need several stages of Class A (both DC and
AC bias
> >  stabilized) thereby raising the costs significantly. Precision
> >  components will be used rather than run of the mill 10%
tolerance. It
> >  all adds up both in cost and performance.
> >
> >  Jim WA0LYK
>

> I am afraid we are aiming at different solutions.
>
> I wouldn't use bipolars, I would use op amps. Well used, you would
incur
> in less than
> 0.1 % distortion,  and I am afraid it is much more than what it
would
> deliver. I have
> achieved in practice distortions in the order of 0.05% or less for
pro
> audio designs.
>
> With op amps, you just decide the corner frequencies, and the gain
you
> want. Of course,
> you must consider the open loop gain and the unity gain frequency.
The
> rest is choosing
> the right resistor values. The rest of the engineering needed is
already
> included inside
> the chip.
>
> And unless you are working with balanced, matched amplifiers, a
fraction
> of a dB goes
> nowhere. So, 10% resistors are perfectly adequate.
>
> I would avoid aluminum foil electrolytics. Those are the quickest
aging
> and most prone
> to fail components in a properly done design.
>

> 73 de Jose, CO2JA

> XIII Convención Científica de Ingeniería y Arquitectura
> 28/noviembre al 1/diciembre de 2006
> Cujae, Ciudad de la Habana, Cuba
> http://www.cujae.edu.cu/eventos/convencion

<*> Your email settings: