> Please don't treat the radio part of these systems as a simple black
> box that replaces an ethernet wire!  Please do the homework required
> to understand what happens in your radio at RF both on transmit and
> receive.  In other words, do a little RF engineering in addition to
> the baseband and digital processing engineering.
> Jim WA0LYK

There is, of course, no "magic" involved.  If I may I
will again attempt a layman's perspective.

Chaos Theory may work to our advantage here.  There is
often much order embedded in what appears to be chaos.

What *appears* to be an impossibly high signal-to-noise-ratio
to an analog system is often overcome by a sharp ear and/or
DSP processing.  "Noise" as we generically label it appears
to be impossible QRM/QRN chaos unless broken down into
component parts.

If we have good propagation such that a strong signal
*may* be received from the desired source and some
irresponsible vendor injects BPL QRM/QRN into the spectrum
then we have a known source which may be excluded via
RF signal and digital processing.

We have nulling technologies to remove some of the
RF signal and digital to exclude non-relevant QRM/QRN.

If we have poor propagation such that the desired
signal would already have trouble getting to our
receiver then the added BPL QRM will make a difficult
problem more so, perhaps but not necessarily impossible.

If our transmission is in known packets and BPL
QRM/QRN successfully attacks a packet it is resent
until completed.

As you noted, if we boost the power level of the
transmission we enhance the probability of overcoming
the BPL QRM/QRN, but we do so at the price of increased
cost and added energy -- which may be a precious
commodity in an emergency deployment.  We also risk
generating our own QRM/QRN to nearby Ham & non-Ham gear.

What am I missing?

--

Thanks! & 73,
doc, KD4E