--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Jose A. Amador" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> jgorman01 wrote:
>
> >  S-meters are not just logarithmic indicators, they also indicate the
> >  gain reduction being applied in the RF/IF chain. As I said in a
> >  much of an attenuator is being inserted. By inserting this attenuator
> >  you are not just inserting an S5 level of reduction, but an S9+10 dB
> >  level of attenuation.
>
> I cannot follow the reasoning of expressing attenuations in S units.

I did not mean to confuse anyone.  I merely wanted to indicate that
AGC reduces the gain of a receiver and is comparable to inserting an
attenuator.

> >Therefore the smaller signal is reduced by a
> >  much larger amount than its absolute level would need. This means it
> >  doesn't come out of the audio amp at an S5 level but at something
> >  much less.
>
> The initial purpose of AGC is providing LISTENING COMFORT in domestic
> radios.
>
> The RSSI indicator (S meter) is an extra in communications receivers.
> The earlier
> receivers were not even calibrated in S units, but had some arbitrary
> calibration.
>
> AGC aims at having some constant maximum loudness, so you can tune
> between several
> stations without holding the tuning knob in one hand and the volume
> control on the other.
>
> Of course, it may have solved more than a single problem....

It has solved more than a single problem.  By using AGC, the dynamic
range of each amplification stage can be reduced thereby saving money.

I dug out the schematic of my Icom 761, which has been considered a
fairly decent receiver, and the AGC is applied to a PIN diode
attenuator prior to the first RF amp (not the preamp) and all 3 stages
of IF amps.  I didn't follow it any further since this illustrates
what I was saying.

> >  SDR's still have to deal with the real analog world at some point. RF
> >  preamps and amplifiers that have a large dynamic range are not easy
> >  to design and build. That is why AGC is applied to them, to limit the
> >  range they have to handle.
>
> As far as I know, high performance radios do not use AGC before the
> first selectiivity
> element (roofing filter or whatever), as the dual AGC loop radios have
> been demonstrated
> to protect dynamic range more than the audibility of the desired
signal.
> A large signal
> actuating a wideband AGC on the front end is not a good solution from
> the PRACTICAL,
> real world communications standpoint.
>
> If you really wan't to gauge a radio, use it in a contest, preferably,
> on a large one. Shortcomings
> will come afloat by themselves.

The Icom 761 doesn't have a roofing filter and it's dynamic range
probably doesn't compare to a high dollar receiver that does.

> >  As an experiment turn off your AGC and
> >  see what level of signal it takes to overload at least some of the
> >  stages in your receiver. I can HEAR audible distortion on S9 signals.
>
> It depends on the gain distribution or S meter calibration among
> different radios.
>
> >  This means signals much less than this also have distortion.
>
> I cannot follow this.
>
> SMALLER signals are also distorted? Common sense indicates that larger
> signals
> certainly would....

All I am saying here is that if I can HEAR distortion with my ears on
a given level signal, I am sure that there is significant distortion
on even lower level signals that my ears simply can't discern.

> >  Now this may not be occuring in the first RF stages but it likely
> could be.
>
> Generally, it may happen from the last IF amplifier towards the front
> end. A good
> gain distribution would achieve it. Otherwise, it is a real bad design,
> a steal...

As I pointed out about my Icom 761, there is AGC applied throughout
the different receiver stages.  I wouldn't call it "real bad design",
just an engineering decision to provide acceptable performance at a
minimum cost.

> >  SDR's may very well be an answer to cheaper high performance
> >  receivers, but so far the measurements I have seen don't show a
> >  dramatic improvement, for example, even half again the dynamic range
> >  of current decent analog receivers.
>
> I cannot associate cheap with bad so straightforwardly.
>
> I see one of the merits of the amateur SDR designs is affordability.
For
> the people
> who can afford a PC (not everyone can everywhere),  it can provide
> better filters and
> demodulators, and  improvements  that can be  enjoyed as soon as you
> upgrade the
> software. It is not so easy to do with a hardware radio, unless you
> really know what
> you are doing. The basic performance is defined by the front end, and I
> can assure
> it may not be perfect, but is a good design. I have not bought it,
but I
> have done some
> homebrewing with the parts I've got, and it works well.
>
> There is another project, the HPDSR, but it seems to me it is not that
> affordable nowadays.
> Looks like a next generation project to me, since the limitations of
the
> available soundcards
> would not be the bottleneck.
>
> >  See the ARRL review on the
> >  SDR1000. I am sure better performance will come, but at what price is
> >  a question.
>
> The price of a 1 GHz PC plus a good soundcard plus the front end
> hardware. Depends on
> the specific market, but in the US it can be real cheap.
>
> I read a post here that in the US, $300 is pocket money. Really is it?

I wish $300 was pocket change.  I am no longer working, and living on
a fixed income means a lot of savings for $300.

> >  Here is a reference I found about a high performance system.
>
> >  "The Model 7640's FPGA serves as its control and status engine, and
> >  is supported by 512MB of DDR SDRAM for buffering functions, such as
> >  data capture and delay. The transceiver digitizes HF (high frequency)
> >  or IF (intermediate frequency) input signals using a pair of 14-bit,
> >  105 MHz A/D converters, and generates output signals with two 16-bit,
> >  500 MHz D/A converters." See it at
> >  http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3911104852.html
> >  <http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3911104852.html>
> >
> >  It only retails for $85,000!
>
> Let's be realistic. It may be very high performing, but is not
affordable.

> I am afraid the $ 500 hammer story repeats again. Take it or
> leave it....

I only wanted to point out that performance DOES come at a cost.
Perhaps that is what I should have said to begin with!  A simple
description of a complex problem, Jose.

> Jose, CO2JA

> XIII Convención Científica de Ingeniería y Arquitectura
> 28/noviembre al 1/diciembre de 2006
> Cujae, Ciudad de la Habana, Cuba
> http://www.cujae.edu.cu/eventos/convencion

<*> Your email settings: