--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, Tony <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Roger Andy...
>
> I intend to do the same. I'm QRV on 14236.0 at 1445z
>
> Tony KT2Q

Tony and I had a great QSO today using digital voice in WinDRM on
7228 during local morning, approximately 300 miles apart, both using
dipoles and about 70 watts.

The signal to noise ratio for Tony KT2Q's signal peaked at 18.1 at
my end, and was averaging about 15.0 .  Tony's audio was very good,
I will upload a sample later after I have edited the MP3 file.  I
received about 95% of his transmissions over the half-hour that we
communicated.

We tried all three codecs supported by WinDRM (SPEEX, MELP, and LPC
10).  MELP was clearly superior in audio quality but we noticed NO
difference in SNR threshold, it appears that the same SNR is
required for all three.

Tony made an interesting comment, he suggested that the audio
produced by DV has much less "listener fatigue" than SSB analog
voice and thus longer QSOs take less effort.  I had to remind myself
I was transmitting a couple of times, I was talking a fairly long
time...like when on Skype or something.  Better get used to turning
things over before I toast my finals.

Andy K3UK

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional