Hello Rick,

>Does anyone have any "inside" information that would suggest that we
>will be able to lower the required S/N ratios for a given speed or are
>we already too close to the Shannon Limit as it is?
The only solution to do voice exchange with a low S/N would be to translate all the pronounced words in symbols (through some program able to "understand" voice, the symbols being phonemes or words), to code these symbols through a Varicode with, for example 40.000 different symbols, to transmit these symbols and to reverse the process at reception: decoding of the symbols and pronunciation through an auxiliary program handling an artificial voice.
The transmission mode would be some MFSK16 or Contestia mode (rapid and reliable).

I have listened some test in spanish with artificial voice reading words. It was not too bad. The real problem is to translate voice in symbols, in a reliable way.

I think that, in this way, the compression of the information would be close to the maximum.

73
Patrick