> John K8OCL wrote:
> The ARRL HSMM Working Group recommended at least the same
> bandwidth for HF digital research and advancement as the
> current ARRL bandplan recommended for a old legacy mode
> such as AM.

Hi John,

There is really no sensible reason that AM should get special
treatment in a bandwidth-based spectrum management plan. Especially,
when bandwidth-based definitions may be used to allow AM on par with
other emission types.

In 2005, I suggested the use of a power/bandwidth mask that would
accomodate AM, as well as provide for other emissions at wider
bandwidth, but with similar spectrum use impact as AM...
See this image:
http://www.hflink.com/bandplans/spectrum_mask.jpg

Basically, the power mask definition principle is simple...
If transmitter necessary bandwidth exceeds 3kHz, then:
Power must not exceed 1500W PEP in 3.5kHz occupied bandwidth,
and power must not exceed 200W PEP in 10kHz occupied bandwidth.

So, when necessary bandwidth doesn't exceed 3kHz, there is no need for
the operator to measure or calculate bandwidth. It is only when wider
bandwidth is used, that it puts the responsibility upon the operator
to control power vs bandwidth according to the stepped power mask.

Just think about the kB/s throughput you could deliver with a stepped
power 200W/1.5kW OFDM signal within this mask! Or, alternatively, a
flat response signal with 10kHz bandwidth at 200W. Using time-share
techniques, there are a lot of interesting new things that could be
done. Certainly, there is enough spectrum space to carve out 50kHz of
spectrum for this in the 80m, 15m, and 10m bands for this.

On the 20m and 40m bands, with a small chunk, maybe 20kHz of spectrum
could be used, and a slightly lower-powered mask could be defined:

100W @ 3.5kHz Occupied Bandwidth
20W @ 10kHz Occupied Bandwidth

Certainly, this would have less spectrum impact than the kilowatt AM
phone signal that everyone knows and loves so much.

Bonnie Crystal KQ6XA

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: