When my windows pc's hard disk died about 1 1/2 yrs ago, I decided not
to replace it.  I upgraded my linux box to suse 9.3 and haven't looked
back.  Open Office does everything I need in place of microsoft office.

You'll need to become comfortable with tar, ./configure, make, and
'make install'.

You don't have to worry about viruses.  kmail and mozilla work fine.

I had to locate and download the latest xine package to get my ipod
shuffle to work since suse's updates didn't handle mp3's at all.  It
also fixed some problems with wmf files.  Now my ipod is recognized
automatically and gtkpod works ok.

Some ham software is windows only but so is some linux software.  Only
you can answer which you software you need, therefore determining the
operating system.

Will I go back to windows?  I doubt it.

Jim
WA0LYK