> The advantage of this system ?
> each subcarrier can change it's phase (and amplitude) much faster
> than a carrier of limited bandwidth could do, but during "symbol
> integration time" there is no carrier overlap, the orthogonality
> remains perfect.

Yes, that is certainly the forte of OFDM, and indeed most OFDM systems
use amplitude and phase simultaneously to pack more symbols into the
time/frequency space. fred harris, aka Mr. DSP, once told me that "a
really good signal fills up the channel and looks like white noise",
or words to that effect.

Some have mentioned that other phase modulated systems are orthogonal,
"so why not call them OFDM also?" but generally speaking, they are
called DPSK or DQPSK, or whatever, to be more descriptive... even
though they may be "orthogonal".

The OFDM flavors with many amplitude levels in the symbols that are
used in UHF/microwave are probably not so good for HF work close to
the noise floor. But a dynamically variable OFDM signal with variable
amplitude levels that changes according to SN could take advantage of
when propagation is good. It could revert to a single amplitude level,
(making it -PSK), to wring every dB out when the SN is worse.

I foresee and recommend this variable OFDM symbol approach as the best
next step in fast HF modems for hams.

Bonnie VR2/KQ6XA