The 22" monitor that I use is 1680 x 1050 with 32 bit color depth. I
would not want it any higher in resolution since it would have smaller
icons and characters, however, when you use a document on such a wide
screen, you can scale the image font sizes up and down as desired with
programs such as Open Office.  For sight impaired, you can make the
fonts quite huge and still manage to not overrun the margins.