From: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Michael
P. Brininstool
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2006 10:12 AM
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [digitalradio] Linux versis Windows: Let the debate begin!!

From: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Kevin
O'Rorke
Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2006 5:47 PM
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com

Seriously, until Linux programs can be installed as easily and reliably
as Windows programs (I HAVE NEVER EVER HAD AN INSTALLATION PROBLEM IN
WIN) then Linux has not a dogs chance in Hell of competing with Windows.
I enjoy the challenge of fighting with Linux and consider myself an
apprentice geek in that realm, but really what John
says is, unfortunately true.
.

I have been using *NIX since 1986 (before Windows) and have never like Windows.
The installation problem to which you refer will probably never be fixed in
Linux.
That is because, to do so, means standardizing distros and configs --something
die-hard *NIX fans will not stand for.  The reason I prefer *NIX is that I can
have it my way.

The analogy I like to use is this:

You go in the the M$ (MicroSoft) restaurant and sit down, the waiter brings out
your meal.  You do not have a choice in what to order, or how it is prepared,
just how many copies of the meal.

I go into the *NIX restaurant, and talk to the cattle barron, and negotiate
which cow he will let me purchase and for how much.  He then hands me a butcher
knife and sends me into the field.

As much as I do not want to have to butcher my own meat, if that is the only
way to get beef instead of the mystery "meat" of the year, and get it cooked to
my specifications, then I will do it that way.  Pre-packaged distros are just
paying someone to butcher and wrap the meat for you.

The problem I see, is that Linux interfaces are trying to become M$ Windows,
and are starting to lose their original appeal.